Sunday, March 30, 2008

Rolley Polley Mama's Got a Fatty

So, I like to eat. You don't call yourself the Diva of Yum if you don't focus your purpose for living on the Yum. I'll be honest and say that I've been focusing a bit too much on the yum and not so much on the exercise that should be matched with the yum I've been consuming. The result? My fat girl jeans have been on regular rotation. I've watched this growth around my middle go from, cute little muffin top, to like a triple layer cake and it aint lookin' so yummy.

Weddings, the beach, poolside people watching are all super fun things around the corner and the Diva can't have that extra wiggle for everyone and their mamas to see. So I'm getting my post Eddie Van Halen Valerie Bertinelli on and doing that dreaded thing called dieting. The thing about dieting is that you have to think even harder about food. And when I say think harder, I don't mean like Wendy's or Taco Hell. I'm talking about the choice between lettuce or lettuce with water on the side. It's going from one hell to the next. I'm exaggerating, of course.

I know too that I'm not the only one. I don't want to get all Supersize Me on you so instead I thought I'd share some healthy recipes that have helped me deal with the idea of not eating out as much as I prefer which is every waking, breathing moment of my entire life.

The first thing is quinoa, an ancient grain that's been around since forever and three days. It's like the Oscar worthy vintage dress of all grains. Super yummy. Super healthy. Super fiberlicious. (Here is where I keep comments about the fiber to myself and apologize to the people who have been near me since the diet debacle reared its ugly head. ) And to top it off, it's so easy to make and perfect for those times when you are starving and just need to stuff face fast. To the left you'll see my cooking skills at work. Here's what I did.

1) Buy some pre-chopped veggies. Who has time to cut things?
And you might get injured. You'll need carrots, onions and celery. This is what fancy chefs on the food network call mirapoux. If you say it front of a mirror over and over it makes your lips look really sexy and French.
2) Saute veggies in olive oil and salt and pepper.
3) Add a huge ass can of chicken stock or veggie or whatever your
little heart wants or whatever is on sale.
4) Add about 1 3/4 lb of quinoa
5) Simmer on low heat until the quinoa is the consistency of your favorite couscous.

This was a pot of yum that lasted about a week for me and the sis. The veggies are like sweet morsels of fun amidst the salty, nuttiness of the quinoa. Please tell me if you try it because I love to hear how right I am about good food.

The other thing on this diet that has saved my life is the wonderful thing I call frozen veg heaven. I love corn which is of course one of the least healthy of the vegetables but I love me some corn. I used to give dissertations on corn for a receptionist at an old job and was happy to convert her to a corn lover. She gained about 5lbs by the time I left my position but we won't get into that now.

Aside from corn, I've been looking for a way to eat more green beans. I love green beans and hope to look like one someday. I found the answer at my Disney World also known as Trader Joes. It's called Prig Khin Green Beans. The packet on the right comes with crispy frozen green beans and two spicy soy sauce packets that dress the green beans in a subtle, kicky, yummy layer of pure goodness. And like the quinoa its super easy to make. If you are one of those special learners, like myself and need pictures, see below. It was as simple as adding a tablespoon of olive oil, sauteing the green beans, dumping sauce packets and stirring. How easy is that?





I threw in some fluffy white rice as a side dish and some extra carbs that I don't need and ta-da dinner! That's as gourmet as it gets for a dieting Diva on a Sunday night.

As I approach that scary age of 30, I know that fighting off the lbs will be an uphill battle but at least I've got some new and challenging food adventures to come and more for you to read about. I'm hoping that few more weeks of frozen veg and vintage grains will bring this triple layer cake on my waist down to at least a cute little cupcake.

Man, do I miss cake.

2 comments:

Miss Scarlet said...

Those look good! Yummmm is right.

Anonymous said...

I followed your quinoa recipe pretty closely, except I actually chopped up vegetables -- Interns ALWAYS have time to cut things. I also diced up some broccoli stems and red bell pepper. I used veggie stock and your recommended amount of quinoa, 1 3/4 lb.

End result: way more than one person should eat in a week, but a really good dish - I think using stock is key.

After the first couple bowls, I bought some chicken breasts, cubed and cooked them, and added them into the mix. I'm only a part-time vegetarian.

- Daniel Parr